Dress up your Wheat “Meat” recipe and make a chik’n parm dinner!
It’s super simple and very similar to cooking up chicken or eggplant parm, if you’ve ever done that.
You’ll need flax egg, vegan bread crumbs, frying oil, flour (optional), and sprigs of basil (optional for garnish).
Make a flax egg:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk 1/4 cup flax seed meal with 3/4 cup water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes for the mixture to become gelatinous.
Prep bread crumbs:
- I use 1-2 cups of vegan Italian bread crumbs. I like these bread crumbs from Whole Foods because they’re vegan and already seasoned.
- Whatever bread crumbs you use, you can add a bit of flour to the bread crumbs to make them stretch further and last longer.
- You can also search through your grocery store’s panko or plain bread crumbs and check the ingredients list that they are free of egg and dairy.
- You can add Italian seasoning to the plain bread crumbs, 1 tsp Italian seasoning per cup.
- If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can use 1/4 tsp of oregano, 1/4 tsp of basil, 1/4 tsp of onion powder, 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- Put the bread crumbs, whichever option you choose, on a plate.
- Take one slightly cooled piece of Wheat “Meat” and dunk it in the flax egg until it’s evenly coated on both sides.
- Take the piece that’s coated in the flax egg and cover in the bread crumbs on both sides.
- Put the coated piece on a clean plate.
- Repeat until all pieces are coated in flax egg and bread crumbs.
- Set frying pan on medium-high heat and add frying oil.
- When the pan is warm, put the Wheat “Meat” pieces in the pan.
- Cook until one side of the piece is golden brown and flip to cook on the other side. Add more oil if needed.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan.
- Top with warmed red pasta sauce and vegan cheese if desired. I prefer Violife mozzarella and parmesan.
- If you are using “meat” that is completely cooled, I recommend baking for 15-20 minutes. You can also bake for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with a sprig of basil for garnish.