I get so many compliments on this dish from vegans and non-vegans alike! I like to veganize this dish to share at potlucks and holiday gatherings. It is a hit time after time! I think it’s pretty simple, I hope you agree.
I Googled “what do you call a vegan Shepherd’s Pie?” and it came up “Mushroom Planter’s Pie” or “Sheperdess Pie” so I chose the latter. The first felt like a mouthful…
If I’m making this to serve for dinner, I use a casserole dish. For potlucks, I use a crockpot.
If you’re using a crockpot, you’ll have to skip steps 6 and 11.
This is allergen friendly too because it’s dairy free, nut free, gluten free, and soy free!* *depending on the “butter” used
Mashed Potato Topping
- 2-3 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened original oat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb Beyond Meat
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 oz vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover the potatoes with water, and boil until they are soft, about 10-15 min.
- While the potatoes are boiling, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Saute the onions in a large frying pan over medium heat with olive oil. After about 3 min when the onions are golden, add the garlic and Beyond Meat. Turn the burner up to medium-high heat to brown the meat.
- While the meat is browning, add the herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Once the meat is browned, add the broth and veggies. Then add the flour and nutritional yeast to thicken. Cook for about 5 min until the veggies are no longer frozen, and the sauce has thickened.
- If you’re using a casserole dish to serve, move the oven rack toward the top of the oven. Preheat the oven on to broil at 550F.
- Drain the water from the cooked potatoes.
- Add the butter, milk, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast to the potatoes and mash them up until smooth.
- Add the meat and veggie mixture to the dish or crockpot and spread evenly.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat and veggies evenly.
- Put the casserole dish, uncovered, in the oven to cook the top of the dish until the potatoes are golden brown. This should only take about 2 minutes so keep an eye on it!
- Top with parsley flakes for garnish, optional.