Dress up your Wheat “Meat” recipe and make a chik’n parm dinner!
It’s super simple and very similar to cooking up chicken or eggplant parm, if you’ve ever done that.
You’ll need flax egg, vegan bread crumbs, olive oil.
Make a flax egg:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk 1/4 cup flax seed meal with 3/4 cup water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes for the mixture to become gelatinous.
Prep bread crumbs:
- I use 1-2 cups of vegan Italian bread crumbs. I like these bread crumbs from Whole Foods because they’re vegan and already seasoned.
- Whatever bread crumbs you use, you can add a bit of flour to the bread crumbs to make them stretch further and last longer.
- You can also search through your grocery store’s panko or plain bread crumbs and check the ingredients list that they are free of egg and dairy.
- You can add Italian seasoning to the plain bread crumbs, 1 tsp Italian seasoning per cup.
- If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can use 1/4 tsp of oregano, 1/4 tsp of basil, 1/4 tsp of onion powder, 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- Put the bread crumbs, whichever option you choose, on a plate.
- Take one cooled piece of Wheat “Meat” and dunk it in the flax egg until it’s evenly coated on both sides.
- Take the piece that’s coated in the flax egg and cover in the bread crumbs on both sides.
- Put the coated piece on a clean plate.
- Repeat until all pieces are coated in flax egg and bread crumbs.
- Set frying pan on medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- When the pan is warm, put the Wheat “Meat” pieces in the pan.
- Cook until one side of the piece is golden brown and flip to cook on the other side. Add more oil if needed.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan.
- Serve on a plate. I like to add pasta and veggies.
- Top with red pasta sauce and vegan cheese if desired. I prefer Violife mozzarella and parmesan.