I’ve been loving making grilled cheeze lately. However, I’ve been following low carb macros lately for summer prep – as long as summer isn’t cancelled this year! I was wondering how I can add more protein to the meal and thought about the plant based deli slices from Lightlife! Perfect.
This is less of a “recipe” and more of an idea and steps to “create” the sandwich.
I used Lightlife “turkey” deli slices, Dave’s Killer Bread (low-carb), Violife Cheddar Cheeze, and Earth Balance butter. You can use mix up the cheeze flavor and the type of plant based deli slices to add some variety. Most bread is vegan. You can use apps like these to double check. Usually dairy and eggs have to be listed as allergens at the bottom of the ingredients list like “Contains: Milk.” You can also look for margarine this same way.
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 slices of cheeze (more or less slices depending on your preference)
- 4 slices of plant-based deli slices (more or less slices depending on your preference)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- mustard, optional
- vegan mayo, optional
- sliced tomato, optional
- Take out a small frying pan and put it on the stove over med-low heat.
- Take out 2 slices of bread.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Once the pan is warm, put one of the slices of bread, butter side down, on the pan.
- Layer the cheeze and deli slices on the bread in the pan. Use as many slices of deli slices and cheeze as desired. I layered 1 cheeze, 2 deli slices, 1 cheeze, 2 deli slices.
- Add any additional toppings here! I topped with mustard, I would have added vegan mayo if I had it too. Adding a slice of tomato here would also be very yummy!
- Place the last slice of bread on top, butter side up.
- Let it cook for about 3 minutes and then flip.
- Keep cooking and flipping until both sides of the sandwich are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the pan and cut the sandwich in half, if desired.
- Let cool for 1-2 minutes before eating.
Serving suggestion: with a warm cup of tomato soup! Campbell’s original tomato soup is vegan, just cook it with water or unsweetened original non-dairy milk.
Macros: 38g carbs, 15.5g fat, 20g protein